Saturday, September 24, 2011

Jongewaard's Bake N Broil

Today we feature a guest post from Amanda who was fortunate enough to have a pie experience worthy of this blog. To read about other things she ponders check out The Flip Side of My Pillow.

The first stop after the airport and a long arduous journey home was Jongewaard's Bake N Broil. To get a pie. Because we were in Long Beach anyway so why would we not stop by? Would I have expected anything else? No. Every time I called home during the summer, and even to this day, I hear the mixer, spoons scraping the bottom the of pan, apple peelers, and timers going off in the background then am overcome with my mother's sensory detail and description the newest pie experiment. Oh how I reveled in finally being the beneficiary of this new hobby.



Now I know what you are thinking. Any restaurant that uses an "N" instead of "and" had better follow it up with some darn good food and atmosphere because we don't just accept broken grammar rules like that. Well, they did. Not only did they have an orange door to legitimize their name but they also sported a quaint dining area with a hometown diner feel. Maybe we'll even return there for regular breakfast food and not just pie. What a world that would be.

As for the pie, I thought it looked a little bland. Butter crust, learned what that was. Very crumbly and full. Not very decorated. Luckily we have learned to give every pie a fair chance and cut into it to reveal a beautiful filling that matched its looks with a rich taste.


As for me, I say we're going back. I have not have enough of Jongewaard's name or their pie. There is still much to explore. In fact, let's make this a real pie parade and line 'em up!

-Amanda

1 comment: