Monday, July 18, 2011

Guest Post: Intern Amanda

Today we feature a special guest, Intern Amanda. As her name implies, Amanda is fulfilling her dream as an intern in Washington D.C. Check out more of her musings at Mind Blowing Adventures.
 
As an American I am a fan of pie and have found Pie Parade the best way to express my deepest passions: pie and America. I wear my American Flag shorts and trek it around the city looking for some pie to put in my mouth so I can take a break from singing our national anthem.

Most recently, I found myself with 4 friends at Founding Farmers and before we could recite the first 10 presidents of the United States and all the signers of the Declaration of Independence we had devoured one delicious apple pie.

The presentation was the best part for me. I like the classic pie shape because it translates so well to graph humor but can appreciate innovation because of my deep American ideals. The crust was flakey, the filling too much on the puree side than the apple slices side and not sweet enough, but the obligatory vanilla ice cream made it all work well together. The cylindrical  shape of the actual pie, however unique, led to a very crust heavy dessert. After the waiter brought out the pie a child from the table behind us tapped my shoulder and asked, with wonder in his eyes, "What is that?" That, my friend, is about American as you can get.

-Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment